Tuesday, July 15, 2014

First Day on the Job

Featured blog from the desk of Leah Backo, Development Intern

I had originally prepared for my position as the Development Intern for the Hunger Network of Greater Cleveland by pouring over the organization’s website as well as reading and watching news articles and other forms of publicity featured on the site or on good old fashioned Google search. But despite my excessive research, I still came across many surprises and discoveries during my first day on the job.

I arrived at 8 AM at the Hunger Network’s downtown office with the understanding that I’d spend the majority of my first day visiting a few of the over 100 local food pantries that the Network supports to help gather stories and images of those that utilize the Hunger Network’s sites on a daily basis. I had no idea, however, that these facilities provide much more than food.

At the first site, Redeemer, for example, there is not only a pantry and a hot meal program but also a day-camp-like program for children in the summertime. The program allows local kids to not only be supervised and entertained but also to be educated about healthy lifestyles. While programs like these are funded by sources other than the Hunger Network, their location is often the same as many of the Hunger Network’s web of pantries in Cuyahoga County. When we arrived, we found the children were given healthy breakfasts and were then engaged in a variety of activities including drawing and play-dough, singing and dancing, and finally watching a presentation about proper dental care from a team of dental students. In addition to programs for children, many facilities also house programs and entertainment for senior citizens. In the last facility I visited, a group of seniors were playing cards and games, making jewelry, and playing pool while they waited for a hot meal to be prepared for them to eat. While the Hunger Network does not directly fund this particular activity center and meal, they do fund the food pantry located in the center, making the facilities a place where people can not only receive food but also interact with other locals and have a sense of community.

In addition to being a gathering place for locals of all ages and providing food for those in need, some of the centers also provide clothing, either free or for a very low price, to not only clothe those who need it but also to provide a sense of dignity and self-worth.  Many facilities also offer informational pamphlets and packets about healthy living, budgeting, job hunting, and other topics that might be of interest to those of low income.

While I was impressed with all of the programs and activities offered at various Hunger Network sites, (even those activities which are not directly funded by the HNGC), I was most impressed with the centers’ commitment to providing nutritional food. I was happy to see that much of the produce and fresh items being given out actually appeared fresh and by no means second hand. I got to meet and talk to many of the people who utilize the Hunger Network’s facilities. I also got to chat with the facilities’ workers, most of whom were overwhelmingly passionate about helping people, loved the work that they did, and had hearts that just seemed to radiate goodness. I think that aspect of my first day is something that I will always take with me¬— seeing the diverse set of people the Hunger Network touches.

No comments:

Post a Comment